John C. Fremont

From Friends of the Black Rock High Rock Wiki
Revision as of 20:33, 28 December 2021 by Cxbrx (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "" to "")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

John C. Fremont visited the Black Rock Desert in December 1842 and January, 1843[1] His group has the first recorded ascent of Old Razorback Mountain and the first recorded visit to Gerlach "Great Boiling" Springs. Godeys Rock and Godeys Gap are named for Alexander Godey, who scouted the area while Fremont's party rested at the springs.

Howitzer Slide, located on the east shore of Pyramid Lake, was named in 1965 for the howitzer that Fremont temporarily abandoned there on January 13, 1844.[1][2]


  1. 1.0 1.1 Donald Jackson and Mary Lee Spence (eds.), "The expeditions of John Charles Frémont," 1970.
  2. Howitzer Slide, GNIS.

External Links