Helen Thrasher (b. 1898 - d. 2001) was the postmistress in Gerlach for 45 years Helen Thrasher was married to John James Thrasher.
Helen started working in the Gerlach post office on March 29, 1929 when she and a partner (Claude Heard) bought Dalton's store. Helen became postmaster in 1932. Helen and her husband bought out Heard<ref>Nevada, The Silver State," vol. 2, p. 849. Western States Historical Publishers, 1970.</ref>
Overton (1947) states that Helen Thrasher has many inquiries about Gerlach "Great Boiling" Springs<ref>Theodore D. Overton, "B046: Mineral resources of Douglas, Ormsby, and Washoe Counties," B046, Nevada Bureau of Mines & Geology, 1947. Full version with lower resolution images. Includes images of Fly Geyser, the Petrified Forest, Gerlach Hot Springs that are in the collection at UNR.</ref>.
A 1953 Nevada State Journal newspaper article says that Helen was postmistress at that time. The Gerlach Post Office was at 390 Main St., which is currently the Burning Man office. Helen Thrasher lived in the building behind 390 Main St. <ref>John Burns; Frank Johnson. "Residents of Gerlach Like to Think of It As One of the last Genuine Frontier Towns," Nevada State Journal, April 26, 1953, Page 7.</ref>
A photo of Helen Thrasher appears in "Nevada, The Silver State," vol. 2, p. 851, Western States Historical Publishers, 1970.
- Find A Grave
- Modoc County Record February 22, 2001 (Page 15)
- Peggy Trego, "The 40 Wilderness Miles North of Gerlach, Nevada," Desert Magazine, November, 1960. "Judge Carter has been here 31 years, and what he can't supply in the way of general information, gracious Postmistress Helen Thrasher can, and the post office is in the same building as the store."