Granite Creek Station: Difference between revisions

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
(Louis Dean owned Deep Hole and Granite Creek in 1889.)
(Aka Mott Ranch)
 
Line 12: Line 12:


In 1913, N. C. Bowen had [[Granite Cove]] Creek examined for water rights.<ref>[https://books.google.com/books?id=oMtKAAAAMAAJ&lpg=RA9-PA31&ots=vfMNKL4lCA&dq=%22Granite%20Cove%22%20washoe&pg=RA9-PA31#v=onepage&q=%22Granite%20Cove%22%20washoe&f=false Appendix to Journals of Senate and Assembly ... of the Legislature,] Volume 27, Part 1, p. 31, 1915.</ref>
In 1913, N. C. Bowen had [[Granite Cove]] Creek examined for water rights.<ref>[https://books.google.com/books?id=oMtKAAAAMAAJ&lpg=RA9-PA31&ots=vfMNKL4lCA&dq=%22Granite%20Cove%22%20washoe&pg=RA9-PA31#v=onepage&q=%22Granite%20Cove%22%20washoe&f=false Appendix to Journals of Senate and Assembly ... of the Legislature,] Volume 27, Part 1, p. 31, 1915.</ref>
Mott Ranch is a newer name for [[Granite Creek Station]], located 4.4 miles north of Gerlach.<ref>[http://www.city-data.com/towers/other-Gerlach-Nevada.html FCC Registered Microwave, Paging and Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers in Gerlach, Nevada]</ref>


== References ==
== References ==

Latest revision as of 13:31, 16 August 2022

The Granite Creek Station is located on Highway 34, about 5 miles from Gerlach(Wheeler) at the mouth of Bowen Canyon.

(The present day Granite Creek Ranch is located on Highway 34 about 16 miles north of Gerlach. At one time, another name for Granite Creek Station may have been Granite Creek Ranch.)

Granite Creek Station was established in 1864. In March, 1865, an Indian and three whites were murdered at Granite Creek Station. From 1865 until 1866, Camp McKee was located at Granite Creek Station. Litch abandoned the station in 1867.

(Note that the Valley of the Mud Lakes 1855 map from the 1854 expedition of Edward Griffin Beckwith has a "Granite Creek" east side of the Black Rock Desert. Today, this is known as "Granite Springs Wash"<ref>Granite Springs Wash," GNIS. Alternative name: Granite Creek Wash, source: "County Base Map Series, Nevada Department of Transportation, historic (1930's). PE1/1937".</ref>)

In 1889, Louis Dean owned Deep Hole and Granite Creek Station.<ref>"Died on the Desert," The Weekly Gazette And Stockman, Reno, August 8, 1889, p. 1.</ref>

Bancroft (1890) lists Granite Creek as one of the towns and settlements in Humboldt County.<ref>Hubert Howe Bancroft, "History of Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, 1540-1888," p. 264, 1890.</ref>

In 1913, N. C. Bowen had Granite Cove Creek examined for water rights.<ref>Appendix to Journals of Senate and Assembly ... of the Legislature, Volume 27, Part 1, p. 31, 1915.</ref>

Mott Ranch is a newer name for Granite Creek Station, located 4.4 miles north of Gerlach.<ref>FCC Registered Microwave, Paging and Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers in Gerlach, Nevada</ref>

References

<references/>

External Resources