Gerlach Geothermal Development Project
The Gerlach Geothermal Development Project is a Geothermal project that started in 2020.
The project would add two 24 megawatt (total) power plants with 23 wells, 4.6 miles of pipeline, roads and a powerline to the San Emidio Desert plants.<ref name=Alonzo2020>Gerlach residents say the Black Rock's dark skies threatened by proposed geothermal plant," Amy Alonzo, Reno Gazette Journal, October 26, 2020.</ref>
Some Gerlach residents are concerned about the effect the plants and wells would have on the viewshed, night skies and water supplies.
On October 1, 2020, the BLM accepted pre-scoping comments for 60 days.<ref>"Bureau of Land Management accepting pre-scoping comments for geothermal project near Gerlach," BLM Website.</ref>
In 2020, the proposed map showed well pads located on the west side of Highway 34, near Dooby Lane,<ref name=Alonzo2020/> located at 40° 40′ 43.1″ N, 119° 21′ 40.3″ W in section 3, just north of where 34 crosses the boundary between section 3 and section 10.
On December 10, 2021, the BLM solicited comments on the project<ref>"Black Rock Field Office soliciting public comment on the Gerlach Geothermal Project,", BLM Website.</ref> and provided a map (reproduced below).
In the December 2021 map some of the proposed well pads moved across Highway 34, away from Dooby Lane.
- "Burning Man Project, some Gerlach locals oppose future Ormat geothermal project," Jenny Kane (Reno Gazette Journal, January 10, 2022)
- "Check Out Our Comments on Ormat’s Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project" (burningman.org, January 7, 2022)
- Full comments from Burning Man (January 7, 2022)
- Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project (BLM National NEPA Register)
- Commenting Period Open for Ormat’s Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project (burningman.org, December 23, 2021)
- Ormat Gerlach Proposal Letter BLM, October 1, 2020. ( local copy)
- Dark Skies, Tourism Threatened in Gerlach (Nevada Wilderness, October 30, 2020)
- Ormat concerned stakeholder discussion (Friends of Black Rock/High Rock)
- Final Prescoping Comments to BLM Regarding Gerlach Ormat Project (November 30, 2020)
- Gerlach, Nevada Geothermal Energy Zones
- Gerlach Geothermal LLC Geothermal Energy Zones
- Hilltop Energy Resources LLC Geothermal Energy Zones has a number of nearby leases, but not the leases listed by Ormat?