Gerlach-Empire Lions Club
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Gerlach-Empire Lions Club provided ambulance service to the area at one time.
Timeline of the Gerlach-Empire Lions Club
- 1953: Lions Club requests that Empire be added to the state map because it is the third largest town in Washoe County.
- 1954: Lions Club celebrated its first anniversary on March 22, 1954. Ellsworth Buffaloe was president. The meeting was held at the Stanley theater-restaurant (probably the Stanley Cafe).
- 1956: John James Thrasher was a member. 
- 1957: Lions Club receives permission to have a fire engine, as long as the county is not liable for the actions of the fire fighters.
- 1950's - 1960's:
- 1962: Joe Luchessi a member, Ernest M. Johnson, past president.
- 1964: Nevada Historical Society Photo: WA-915, " Great Boiling Springs Park, Springs Discovered and named by John C. Fremont 1844. Park being developed by Gerlach-Empire Lions Club," 1964, Nevada Historical Society. Picture of the sign for the springs. Note that the plural, "Springs," is used, not the singular that is on the map.
- 1967: Lions Club Map
- 1969: Nevada Regents Minutes: $100 awarded to Garrett Paschall. Garrett is the son of Ray Paschall, who owned the Frog (Garrett Ranch) Springs after the Garretts.
- Ashley Powers, "An idle plant, an empty town killed by the housing bust," April 3, 2011, McClatchy-Tribune News Service.
- Nevada State Journal, "Empire wants on the map: It's Washoe's Third Largest Town!," July 24, 1953, p. 3.
- Nevada State Journal, "Items of Interest from Gerlach Area," March 28, 1954, p. 17.
- Nevada State Journal, "Gerlach Resident, Dies Here," p. 3, November 18, 1956.
- Reno Evening Gazette, "Commissioners Hear Protest on Dump Site," p. 39, February 5, 1957.
- Frank Johnson, "Ten Years of Hard Effort Gets Fire Department for Gerlach," March 27, 1957, p. 29. Large article with low resolution photos. Lions Club donates money.
- Reno Evening Gazette, "http://newspaperarchive.com/us/nevada/reno/reno-evening-gazette/1962/09-01/page-6?tag=gerlach+lions+club&rtserp=tags/?pep=gerlach-lions-club Four Seek Nomination from Northern Washoe," p 6, September 1, 1962.
- Nevada State Journal, "Gerlach-Empire Ambulance Service Forced to Close," p. 15, August 12, 1971
- Reno Evening Gazette, "$500 from Gerlach-Empire Lions Club: Area-wide anti-cancer drive off to a good start," December 2, 1972, p 5.