Camp McGarry (dead link as of 2014-01-04) here on the old Applegate Trail was an Army fort manned from 1865 to 1868. Troops protected the Idaho-California mail and stage roads and the nearby trails in Nevada and Oregon. Officers' quarters, mess hall, barracks and a 100-horse stone barn were constructed 12 miles south of the fort. In 1866, Camp McGarry was made headquarters of the District of Nevada. In autumn, 1868, troops were moved to Camp Winfield Scott, north of Paradise, Nevada; and Camp McGarry, largest military reservation in Nevada, comprising 75 square miles, was abandoned.
- Helen S. Carlson, "Nevada Place Names," p. 161.
- Camp McGarry Historical Marker The marker is likely wrong about the site of Camp McGarry, see Camp McGarry historical marker may be removed.
- Nevada Heritage Time Line 1871: Congress made Camp McGarry an Indian reservation; land set aside for Summit Lake Paiute Reservation January 14, 1913 (Humboldt). Note that these dates may be in doubt.
- Colonel George Ruhlen, "Early Nevada Forts," p. 44, Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, Volume VII, Number 3-4,